Compared to fried fish in western countries, Chinese people always choose to cook fish in different ways, like fish soup, braised fish in brown sauce, or steamed fish.
I bought this sea bass from supermarket. Yet, I found it too big and we didn’t have a pan big enough to cook it. So I decided to divided it into two parts. Fish head for the soup. Fish body and tail for the braised one.
It is not difficult to make fish soup.
1. Heat the oil in the pan, and fry two sides of the fish head. When the color turns a little brown, pour in the hot water.
2. Add two or three ginger slices, salt and green onion.
3. Cook the soup with low heat. The longer you cook it, the whiter will the soup color become.
4. When the soup color turns milky white, add some tofu ( better be silken tofu) slices into it.
5. Cook for another 20 minutes or so.
Braised fish in brown sauce
This dish can be done while fish soup on the stove.
1. Similar to the soup above. Heat the oil in the pan, and fry two sides of the fish body. When the color turns a little brown, add in a little light soy sauce, dark soy sauce （light soy sauce contains salt, dark soy sauce is for dark color) and sugar.
2. Make the fish coated with sugar soy sauce. And pour in hot water.
3. Put in some ginger slices. Cover the pan with lid.
4. When the sauce in the pan become less than 1/4. Take the fish out.
5. Keep hearing the sauce in the pan until it becomes very condensed. And pour it onto the fish.